Monday, November 23, 2015

Cinnamon Applesauce Ornaments!

I love Christmas! The giving, the decorations, the food, the family, watching my kids on Christmas morning. It truly is the most wonderful time of the year. Each year I like to try and do at least one new craft or recipe and include the kids.

You will Need
1 cup of applesauce
1 1/2 cups cinnamon 
2 Tablespoons cloves optional 
Small cookie cutters
string for hanging (Bought one from target and Michaels)

The ones pictured here I made two years ago, after Christmas is over I like to put them in a large plastic baggie and store them away. Kid you not they still smell just as strong as the day I made them. We are making more soon. They are good for ornaments, gift packaging, decor... They smell amazing!

Mix 1 cup of applesauce with 1 cup of cinnamon in a large bowl. Mix. Use your hands and Mix! Make sure you don’t miss any wet spots. Add the additional 1/2 cup of cinnamon. Add the cloves if you are using them ( I did not) If it’s too wet add more cinnamon, too dry add more applesauce.  It takes time to mix so don’t add cinnamon or applesauce till you’re absolutely sure it’s well mixed.
Scatter some cinnamon  and roll out applesauce/cinnamon dough . If the dough is too wet it will make a huge mess and stick to your rolling pin.
Use your cookie cutters to cut out shapes. I used a gingerbread man, candy cane and a heart cutter.
Preheat your oven to 200 degrees  Place on a oven mat or non stick pan. Stick the ornaments in the oven for an hour or more. The juice from the applesauce needs to evaporate. I left them in for 1.5 hrs.They should be hard. If they’re not, give them some more time in the oven.
Let them sit out overnight or for several hours, poke holes and add string! I even added some glitter.
Makes 20-30! Not Edible ! :) 






1 comment:

  1. Thanks I just found an old jar of applesauce I will try these with

    ReplyDelete

Comment here